Here at Kendal Poetry Festival headquarters, we have been plotting and planning – please read on for information about our new project – and spread the word to anyone you know who might be interested!
Are you a writer who would like to attend the festival but can’t afford to financially?
We are running a pilot project this year where we are offering the chance for two writers to attend the 2018 festival. Each writer will receive a Festival Pass which will enable them to attend any of the readings, discussions during the weekend, plus the Saturday open-mic. Both writers will be hosted by a member of Brewery Poets in their home from Thursday 6th September to Sunday 9th September.
We would like to offer this opportunity to writers who would benefit from a weekend of immersion in poetry, but who would not be able to attend without some financial assistance.
Things to note:
- Travel is not included.
- Writers need to have their own transport or be physically able to walk. The festival venue is about a 40 minute walk from where you will be staying.
- You will have your own bedroom but will be sharing a bathroom. Bedrooms are at the top of the house, so you will need to be able to climb stairs.
- Your host will provide a help-yourself-breakfast, but you will need to provide your own lunch/dinner. Tea, coffee and sandwich making facilities will be available.
- There is the opportunity to perform at our ‘Writing Summit’ Open Mic event on Thursday 6th September but this is not compulsory.
To apply please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- One document with your name, date of birth, email address and a short biography (100 words).
- A 200 word statement outlining why it would be difficult for you to attend without a bursary and how you would benefit from the opportunity.
- Contact details (Email) of a referee – someone who knows your work and knows you personally.
- Please include all of this information in one Microsoft Word document.
Deadline for submission is May 31st. Decisions will be made by mid-June and we will reply by email to all applicants.